Reduce your impact - first steps
Here are two easy steps that almost anyone can take to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions by about 7%. These are very quick and easy to do, so no excuses!
1. Reduce Your Thermostat by 1°C
Reducing the temperature of your central heating system by just 1°C can save you money on your heating bill and about 4% of your greenhouse gas emissions. If you don't have a thermostat, turn your radiators down by 1 notch. If you're not quite as warm as you'd like, make yourself a warm drink rather than turning the heating up. Go and do it right now!
2. Switch to a Renewable Energy Tariff
This could take you a few minutes to do, cost you very little and save a big chunk of your emissions (anything from 3%-20%).
Many electricity suppliers now offer renewable energy tariffs as part of their product range. If you switch to a renewable energy scheme, they will supply 1 unit of renewable energy to the grid for every unit you use. This means that you are basically not producing any greenhouse gasses by using electrical appliances. It also encourages electricity suppliers to invest in renewable energy, as they are obliged to meet the demand.
If you are not able to switch to a renewable energy supplier, you can reduce your emissions due to electricity consumption by doing the following things:
- · Don't boil more water than you need for making drinks.
- · Replace as many of your main light bulbs as possible with energy saving light bulbs and replace your halogen spot lights with LED lighting (they cost a bit more, but they last for years and you'll make your money back in electricity saving).
- · Purchase modern, energy efficient appliances such as refrigerators, freezers and washing machines.
- · Don't leave lights on in rooms that are empty.
- · Turn appliances off at the 'off' switch and make sure the standby light is not left on.
- · Turn your fridge/freezer to a less cold setting.
What Else Can I Do?
Managed to cope with those two things? Want to knock another 6.5% off your emissions? Try the next steps!